Kora Temple is an historic building at 11 Sabattus Street in Lewiston, Maine. The temple was built in 1908 by the Ancient Arabic Order, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. The temple building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 for its distinctive Moorish-inspired architecture.
Harry Cochrane, a Maine man who decorated his first church in 1887, the same year in which he married Ida Lorena Gott of Monmouth. In an era of grand decoration, of stenciling and free-hand ornamentation of walls and ceilings, of marbleizing of plaster and wood, of gilding, and of painting murals and large in-situ oil paintings, Cochrane soon achieved regional acclaim for his work. Between 1887 and his death in 1946, he was commissioned to decorate upwards of 400 public buildings in Maine and New England, including churches, parish halls, convents, banks, and courthouses.
In 1898, he won first prize in a competition to decorate the convention halls and rooms for the huge Knights Templar triennial conclave in Pittsburgh. Perhaps his most spectacular mural project would be the 1927 decoration of the Kora Temple in Lewiston.
become subjects of many murals now found in both Masonic and non-Masonic buildings throughout this area.
We are indeed justly proud of noble Cochrane’s immense contribution to our Shrine home.
Ceremonial Hall is located on the 2nd floor of Kora Temple .
Click on picture to scan the room
The Dining Hall is located on the 1st floor of Kora Temple and is where our coveted murals are located.